Wednesday, April 28

There it was, gone!

Bruce the Horse had been rolling in the dust, and not wanting to spend 45 minutes making him presentable enough to ride, I suggested a leisurely stroll instead.


He's an amiable walking companion, always listening intently to what could be seen as a rather one-sided conversation.
I put the camera in my pocket, hoping to catch sight of our resident Buzzard and off we set, admiring the lush grass on the verges (him more than me) and stopped to listen to our first cuckoo.

There, protected by the sheltering hedge was a wild Cowslip in full flower!
I told Bruce to stand very still, fixed my camera to macro and bent down to take the photo.
Successful 1st click, almost ready for the 2nd when a looming black cloud blotted the light. . .a row of large teeth reached down and. . .greedily ate the lot!
I was MORTIFIED!
I know that we musn't Pick the Flowers. . .but is EATING them allowed?

ps afterwards I went back to check.  He hadn't pulled up the root, just "trimmed" the blooms

13 comments:

The English Writer said...

As long as no one was looking! K x

John Gray jgsheffield@hotmail.com said...

re turkeys

my turkeys mix with hens but I am very sure to worm both very regulary

hens carry the blackhead parasite, which is usually harmless to them but can be fatal to turkeys ( they have terrible yellow diorhhea)

The parasites can live the in the soil where hens have been!

hope that helps

VintageWantsNotNeeds said...

No oats for him tonight methinks!!!

Sylvia said...

Funny story !
Hope no one has seen it ...
nevertheless you have your photo !
Nice evening,
Sylvia

ted and bunny said...

No oats indeed!

Thankyou John for sharing your knowledge- I think this may need some more serious planning.

Chickens in the Basement said...

That is so funny! I think he was jealous. And he sure did show that flower who was boss!

Andi's English Attic said...

Well, back in the Middle Ages he'd probably have been put on trial, but I guess he's safe today. Great story. xx

The Cottage Garden Farmer said...

Never mind, I expect it will flower again next year as normal.

Menopausal musing said...

This made me grin. We went to Crete in the spring about 17 years ago, mainly to see the wild flowers. The locals were laughing about how we all come and take photos making sure we don't stand on the orchids and yet the goats come along days later and eat them.

We have one cowslip in a pot which I am under threat of death to weed around........

Autumn Mist said...

I didn't even know horses liked them. Oh well, you never can tell...

Annie said...

Never mind, but it did make me smile imagining the scene.
Ann x

Donna said...

Hahaha Bad Bruce, what a naughty boy!

Kim said...

Love that Bruce...he is always doing something interesting for a horse!

Related Posts with Thumbnails