Wednesday, May 19

Up on the roof

The great thing about our Manhattan hotel
was the roof terrace.
With unexpectedly warm weather
we made good use of it for huge deli brunches
and pre-supper drinks!

 
Wanting to be "in the moment" when out-and-about
rather than watching through a camera lens
means I'm not a great picture taker,
so it was perfect to have relaxed time
for photographing the skyline and city life.

Everything about New York was simply breathtaking-
the size, the noise, the bustle, the sheer volume of people-
and after wandering the streets of
Chinatown, Greenwich Village, SoHo,
and battling through Bloomingdales and Macys
the terrace was a good place
 to escape the sensory overload
and re-charge ready for the next onslaught.

 
Someone here painting a window,
eight floors from the top.


This huge bank took up half a block.
Like so many of the old buildings,
it has decorative details around the roofline.


I was surprised how many tall buildings
had houses built on the top,
it was like a rooftop village!


Such a vibrant city, but still with a feeling of community-
thankyou New York for making us
so very VERY welcome!

11 comments:

Annie said...

Amazing photos, they have made me feel all nostalgic about our trip there. I really want to go back but nothing planned as yet.
Ann x

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Great skyline phoyos.I have not been to New York YET. I am yet to hear of anyone saying they don't like New York. When I went to Washington & Baltimore some years ago, I too was struck by the buildings. I had a great time there.

Warm wishes
Isabelle x

The English Writer said...

I can't comprehend how massive New York must be, but your photo's have given me a great indication! HUGE!!! but amazing, I really want to go, I am ashamed I still haven't been xxx

Menopausal musing said...

I don't know if I would be able to look over the edge at buildings......... I am a wee bit scared of heights. Just looking at the chap painting the windows made me feel light headed. Fascinating, nevertheless and I was gobsmacked to see the house atop the skyscraper......

Sherri B. said...

Great shots! I can't believe that person painting way up there, Yikes!

VintageWantsNotNeeds said...

They call it the city that never sleeps and I agree with that. Great photo's of the roof tops.

By the way a food parcel would be good, just hope our hotel can put us up for a few more nights don't fancy a park bench much...

Chickens in the Basement said...

I love the house built on the rooftop! That is so cool!

Country Style Living said...

Love the feel of New York..Great photo's bringing back many memories..

Andi's English Attic said...

There can't be an inch of space left in NY for building, so what a great idea of building a house on top of another! Never been to NY but really want to go. xx

Maisey's Attic said...

So nice to see your photos - what an amazing place...I need a trip!

Glad you had a great time -

xxx

Sylvia said...

You've taken very impressive photos !
I've never seen houses built on top of a building.
I think it's great to be there !
Nice weekend,
Sylvia

Related Posts with Thumbnails