Friday, June 11

Milkmaid Memories never fade

I love yellow, painted on kitchen walls, shining brightly in the sky, blooming in  flowerbeds.

The last time I wore yellow was back in the 70s when, even in an era not reknowned for it's sartorial elegance, I managed to excel in the role of Fashion Victim.

My Yellow Moment came in Biba's Department Store Kensington High Street, when I was totally smitten by a buttercup-bright cheesecloth pinafore smock, perfect for my lacy layered Milkmaid Look. A fashion faux-pas of larger proportions is yet to be seen!

Still cringing at the thought of resembling lemon curd on short legs (believe me, there are NO photos to share!!) recent yellow-flavoured posts from the fabric of my life and ilovemyhouse got me thinking that maybe enough time had passed to dip a toe in the sunshine waters once again.

This pretty little 1980s dress bought in my local CS would be a gentle re-introduction. . .pink centred primroses tempered by a vintage green background and soft 1940s styling- as far removed from a jaundiced Milkmaid as one could wish for!

Washed and pressed, I slipped it on in the quiet of my bedroom, opened my eyes in front of the mirror. . .and cringed.
I swapped flats for wedges, tied hair up and hair down. Necklace bracelets and brooch. A cardi, a denim jacket, stiff petticoats wide belt and pumps, nothing made any difference.

Ted loves the dress, my best friend loves the dress. Even I love the dress- just not on me!
We look in the mirror and see what we see.
Sometimes it's really there
and sometimes it isn't.

And the dress. . .I've listed it this week on eBay- for someone who shines in yellow more brightly than I do!

22 comments:

Emma said...

That post made me smile..x

The Little Vintage Company said...

Lovely post! I too love yellow, yellow roses, daffodils and sunflowers! Have recently brought a bright yellow polka dot bed-sheet from Ikea, its so bright and happy! Gorgeous dress, I'm after a vintage dress, but they only seem to look good on certain people!! Tamzin X

winnibriggs said...

How brilliant to find someone else whose mirror is honest. I have made many a purchase in the past that should have been returned! It has taken a long time to get to the 'no way' stage. Lovely post, a great way to start my day.

ilovemyhouse said...

Hi darling, first of all thanks for mentioning my post about yellow and nice that i got you started thinking about yellow again. This dress is lovely and as usual you made me laugh (out loud) with all your honesty. I did some "dress shopping"yesterday. Oh,oh i hate these fittingroom mirrors, they can't be right can they? Anyway i bought two dresses and will show them in one of my future posts (not on me though):))). Have a happy happy weekend.xx

ilovemyhouse said...

Oh, by the way. I didn't succeed in putting your button on my blog. I only get to see the html code when i put it on my blog. Just so you know. Maybe i'm doing something wrong here? xx

Menopausal musing said...

What a lovely dress. Love it with the black belt....

My Grannies Attic said...

Lovely dress. I love vintage dresses but only tend to go for vintage style.......Maybe just maybe..........I will have a think.........

Sherri B. said...

Very nice dress and one that I would 'fancy' myself in also. Somehow the imagine in my brain does not match reality....I also have problems putting buttons on just like ilovemyhouse, I know I need help with that too....Have a lovely weekend.

Jee said...

Oh, Biba in Kensington High Street! There's a trip down memory lane just in the words. Yellow's not me either, hope the dress finds a good home though, it's really lovely.

Lalabibaby said...

Oh I know how you feel ..... I see things I love and then realise I would just look like a sack of spuds tied up in the middle ;-)

Sylvia said...

Pretty dress !
I also love yellow and my kitchen walls are painted in a soft yellow. But I rarely wear this color.
Thanks for your lovely comment, glad my pictures could inspire you to create your own version, enjoy it !
Nice weekend,
Sylvia

Isabelle - Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

I like yellow, it is very under rated colour! It's a happy colour but getting the right shade is important other it looks garish..

I like the dress!

Have a lovely weekend
Warm wishes
Isabelle x

Donna said...

Such a shame it didn't suit you Elaine, it's such a pretty dress. Yellow is such a funny colour and one I am only just getting to grips with myself!

Kim said...

Alright! I just want a chance to take a gander at you in that frock! The description of hair up hair down, wedges, belt...it sounds wonderful and I for one want to see it on you...after all I haven't seen you yet...you have seen me and although I love those women toting the ebay packages to the post...I somehow have the suspicion that you do not! look like they do (although they are cute)!!!!

Kim said...

btw Paterbag was my word verification for that comment I just posted! hahahahahaha

Kim said...

Let me just say one more thing if I may. I am trying to go shopping a little bit at a time (because it is so stressful) to find some clothes to wear to my daughter's wedding...well, those dressing room mirrors are really bad...especially the ones with the 3 way...I wondered who that Sumo wrestler was in the dressing room with me!!!!!

ted and bunny said...

Kim- believe me, that woman toting the ebay parcels IS me!
I'm the one with the umbrella ;O))

RedFish said...

I loved your piece about yellow, it too is a colour I adore in so many guises but it really dislikes me! Oh well, at least you can pass the dress on for someone else to enjoy and with the pennies find something else you can enjoy yourself. Thank goodness for channel 4 this evening, great frocks in the form of sense and sensibility and not a round shaped ball in sight!

John Gray jgsheffield@hotmail.com said...

there is something rather elegant about 1940s clothes I alwasy think!

KC'sCourt! said...

Just found you lovely blog.
That dress is definitely ME!
Julie xxxxxx

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

My kitchen wall IS painted yellow. love love this bright happy color too!
Have a lovely week! xx XX xx

The Cottage Garden Farmer said...

I'm afraid I can remember a pair of yellow patent huge platform shoes, worn with yellow tights,mini skirt and a matching bell sleeved yellow shirt to top it all off. I thought I was the bees knees ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails