Wednesday, July 28

The Anonymous Travelling Market


A real hidden gem, the privately owned house Deans Court 
is tucked away completely out of sight in my little Dorset town of  Wimborne Minster.


Peacocks nonchalantly strolling down the High Street and stopping traffic
are the only clue to a grand country house nearby!


Owned by the Hanham family the house has very limited public opening,
so when the gardens played host to


it was the perfect opportunity for a peek behind closed gates!


I would just LOVE a herb garden like this one.
Sited in the sun at the back of the house


complete with statues, terraced seating and a bell mounted on the wall!






The extensive grounds are planted with exotic trees-
I'd love to know what these are?




this one was exceptionally heavily scented



Coffee and homemade cakes were served outside the little cellar tea room


while other people sat under colourful umbrellas on the grass


listening to live music from The Bell Street Jazz Band.


Coffee was also being served from this hearse


 bottlecap jewellery by Joanna Jacobs as featured in
Country Living Magazine
(she didn't want me to take closer photos. . .)


had some gorgeously pungent smoked garlic heads


and this lady was selling Vintage jugs, innovatively boxed with packets
of home-made scented pot-pourri.

The Anonymous Travelling Market is a group of around 50 eclectic stalls
selling arts, crafts, food, jewellery and vintage clothing which journeys
through Dorset.


A tasting session at Cider by Rosie was an instant hit with Ted
and a few bottles came home with us
(the dry cider was a bit "rustic" for me,
so fingers crossed for the the cider champagne!)


Some of the BEST EVER vegetarian food that I have tasted
came from The Parsnipship.
 I bought Melted Mozzarella and Lentil Pudding,
Roasted Beetroot and Feta Cheese Balls
and Indian Spiced Savoury Summer Pudding.
 My freezer (and tum) are now WELL stocked!


These colourful parasols, and the larger table umbrellas came from 1770


re:Made was having her first ever stall-
the cute little cakes and tea cosies are hand-knitted


and I loved Sarah Robinson Designs


but who could possibly refuse this fabulous organic veg,
picked that morning from Deans Court's own gardens!


17 comments:

bad penny said...

How lovely - the house the gardens the market. I would love to go there - maybe next time.
I dream of having awalled kitchen garden.
Thanks for your comment - yes horses & grass & hay take me bach to my childhood a lot of girls at my village schol had ponies & the smell was wonderful !

Annie said...

It looks like it was a lovely event and in such a beautiful setting. The house looks full of character and a little quirky. It's great when you get to see something that is usually hidden from view. That vegetarian food sounded good too and I am not a vegetarian although Mr C is so he would have loved it.
Ann

The Cloth Shed said...

What a beautiful setting for some unusual stalls....I love the organic veg stall display and The Dead Good Coffee is a clever idea...a little disturbing perhaps?
Julie x

ilovemyhouse said...

I would kill(ok not really) to go to this house and market! Great inspiration in this post. The "dead good coffee company", ha, ha, ha. Do they cater at funerals?All the other stalls are fantastic, make sure you tell me when there is another market, i WANT to go there.
Happy wednesday my dear.

XX

sue15cat said...

What a brilliant quirky market in such a wonderful setting, just the sort of thing I love. Shame I'm not in Dorset, but I'll look watch out for it next time I am.

Sue xx

Menopausal musing said...

What a wonderful place to visit and see, as well as a fantastic variety of sellers. Lucky you. Like a lot of the other people who have commented, I was "tickled" by the Dead Good Coffee Company... :O)

Mimi and Tilly said...

I love the colourful umbrellas. One of those would "accessorize"-up my garden a treat! I love days out like this, lots of creativity, and creative people. Fab. x

OhSoVintage said...

What a great day out in a beautiful setting and all those lovely things to buy and take home. The coffee seller - what a great name, very clever!

Jee said...

What a great day - wish they'd travel in this direction.

Sherri B. said...

I want a kitchen garden like that (with staff to go with). What a fun market with so many clever vendors, my favorite is Dead Good Coffee and the hearse.

Miss Mary Elliott said...

Wow that looks great! I went to the very first one in Shaftesbury and wasn't very impressed so it's nice to see it's improving and definately worth another visit :)

The Little Vintage Company said...

This looks gorgeous!! Especially the food and cider! Please please let me know when the next one is on, as I'm at uni at Bournemouth and would love to visit this event!! Tamzin X

the growers daughter said...

What an opportunity that must have been! The house is gorgeous and the yard looks so beautiful.

And I love the concept of the Annonymous Travelling Market! It's a wonderful idea!

Sylvia said...

What a beautiful country house and gardens !
I wish I was there, so many interesting things to see !
It looks like you had a great day.
Nice evening,
Sylvia

Andi's English Attic said...

Third visit, third attempt at leaving a comment. McAfee is doing something strange and preventing me from leaving comments on blogs.
The old worn steps leading to the French windows and the door in the wall are my favourite pics. I love the sound of the veggie stall. I'm trying to sneak more veggie recipes into the family diet (M doesn't think he's had a meal unless it contains meat), and these sound delicious.
Ted sounds like a very handy person to have around in a wasp crisis.

Bovey Belle said...

Thanks for calling in on my blog and I hope you'll be back!

What a brilliant day out - just my sort of thing. Wimborne was our local place to shop when we lived in Dorset, so I know the area well, but this house was never somewhere I was aware of.

Emma said...

That looks like a great way to spend a day, just up my street. I love the photos of the gardens.
Bruce looks so happy to be out in the field and those cows are gorgeous.
Em x

Related Posts with Thumbnails