Thursday, July 22

Progress!

When I first wrote about finding a way to still mind, it was primarily because if I published the notion then I would have to complete it.
I'm unsure why my thoughts would be interesting to people I've never met, so I hadn't expected such messages of support and kindness. Thank you!

I just love being busy; the days are never long enough for all I have planned and yes, I do take time to "smell the roses" (or in my case smell the horses!) but however much the body relaxes, the mind still keeps hammering full steam ahead.
I tried meditation groups, but come evening-class time I'm only fit for sleep.
I read self-help books but lacked confidence to swap an important/enjoyable task for sitting still and attempting to organise my distracted mind- thinking I'd fail, it was easier not to try.
I want to be Mindful, but find it impossible to focus just on the task in hand.

This time I've gone for a different approach . . . I'm only fooling myself but if I say it quietly I might not hear (shhhh)

I love my Tedandbunny Vintage business, and always looking for ways to improve and grow, I'm treating this as a work task. Just because it's only me in the workplace doesn't mean I can't have employee empowerment!
After early-morning chores I'm at my computer by 8 a.m.
Answer emails, check eBay, upload photos, pay bills.
Click on Get Some Headspace, listen to the nice man on the screen guiding me through the progressive process.
I don't even have to leave my desk.

I want to get back to being focused and organised. I want to stop rushing. I want time to be creative and time to relax and time to enjoy what I'm doing instead of always thinking about the next thing on the list.
Just by starting the Headspace meditation I feel I'm gaining control, and in the past few days I've learnt that when the thoughts come in I can just let them go.

Yesterday, I took the veg to prepare for supper out into the garden. Sitting quietly enjoying the warmth of the evening sun while I podded and peeled, my mind sat silently with me for several minutes.
I know it's a small start but for me this is HUGE progress!

"It's not so much how busy you are, but why you are busy. The bee is praised. The mosquito is swatted"

12 comments:

Maisey's Attic said...

This sounds good...love to read your thoughts. All your hard work really shows...your business looks so good - Wishing you a great day - xxx

sue15cat said...

What a good idea to take the veggies out to prepare for tea. Something I should do I think.

I hope it goes well for you this 10 minutes a day idea, it sounds brilliant.

Sue xx

Jee said...

Interested to hear how you're getting on. I'm sure my husband's sleep problems stem from his mania for never spending time just processing his thoughts - even if he stops to watch a TV programme, he snatches up a book or laptop in the adverts.

Andi's English Attic said...

'I'm unsure why my thoughts would be interesting to people I've never met'

Well, you might not have met us in person but we are well met every week through our blogs. Folk used to build up life-long friendships through being penpals, now it's the internet. It's lovely to be in touch with people from all over the world even though there's hardly any hope of meeting in the flesh.

I think it's benificial to share ones thoughts. Sometimes it's good to air worries/future plans/wishes and for the reader it can be encouraging to know others feel the same. By telling us about your 'Get some headspace' experiences you might encourage others (me) who really could do with some! :D

sandiart said...

Ditto 'Andi's English Attic'
I used to have to tell my brain to shut up so that I could have some silence in my head it makes you too tired and you miss the details.
Sandi x

Sherri B. said...

I totally agree with Andi....I understand how that is so huge to you, it would be to me also. While you were sharing how you took the veg outside I was picturing myself doing that and how just maybe I could sit quietly for that little bit of time. I am so pleased that it worked for you. Thank you so much for taking us along this journey with you.

Lalabibaby @ Dreaming of The Simple Life said...

I totally agree with Andi .... it is lovely to share each others ups & downs and like you I find it difficult to switch off. Ideas and thoughts juggling round in my head and I have to have a chat with myself sometimes to take it easy! I am better now .... when the children were at school I was juggling the home with a degree course, part time job, running the school PSA and governorship at the school. It wasn't until one day a friend said why are you running around that I stopped to think that was just what I was doing. Running from one thing to another and ready to drop one of my juggling balls at any time. So something had to give ... I gave up the degree at the end of the second year and resigned as a governor and started to take a back seat on the PSA. I felt much better for it and started to sleep again for a full night. Good luck with your endeavours and keep us posted. x

Autumn Mist said...

I love the quote on your sidebar about 'rising frantically from your bed, full of small concerns' and think that in itself could be something to meditate on. I know this year I have vowed to eat outside more often, otherwise the season is gone and I haven't made the most of it (like last year). I would build up slowly, a few minutes at a time, making a list of all the things that are bugging you first. You do not have to justify how you spend your day. Spending five minutes listening to the grasshoppers and the birds, or a song on the radio all the way through, is not time wasted. Never be afraid of the sound of silence!

Menopausal musing said...

Aren't there some lovely comments on here? Glad to know you are making progress. Incidentally, I loved the quote about the bee and the mosquito. It made me smile.....

ted and bunny said...

oh crumbs, thankyou all. I don't know what to say.
So I won't.
But thankyou.
xx

Mimi and Tilly said...

I was reading something recently about our tendency to take the thing we love to do and turn it into "work", taking all the joy and inspiration out of it. I can really relate to what you're saying, and how difficult it can be to still the mind. Reiki does the trick for me. My mind is constantly whizzing around, but a quick reiki treatment, or ten minutes of quiet in the garden with a cup of tea, and I'm still again. I love reading your blog, it tells a lovely story. Sending smiles, Em xx

Kayla coo said...

Hello,
It's taking time to do the things we love,like a walk or stopping to smell the roses that make us happy.
It is indeed difficult to get a work,home balance especialy if you work from home.
I hope you have a relaxing weekend.
M x

Related Posts with Thumbnails