Saturday, July 10

Hale-Bopp and the Hare


During the bi-annual Dorset Art Weeks last month Ted and I had lots of fun
travelling around looking at the wonderfully diverse range of studios
we are blessed with in our creative county.

One of my favourite local artists is Clare Shepherd who exhibited her work
in this brick-and-flint annexe to her house,
set within the breathtaking Cranborne Chase countryside.

The sign on the door says "National Gallery of Minchington"


Clare was lovely to chat with and quite happy to let us take pictures
of her work, which is stunning.




She led us out to her "garden shed" studio


where she was working on this painting of a Raven.


Before we set out, Ted and I were in complete agreement
 that with the overcrowded walls in our little house we
couldn't possibly squeeze another picture in ANYWHERE. . .


. . .so how come this print came home with us?

Hale-Bopp and the Hare

"This painting was inspired first by the clear view of Hale-Bopp crossing the night sky
. . .and secondly by a hare which Clare saw from her bedroom window one evening
chasing round and round the field opposite her home. . .the strangeness of the comet
and the elegance of the hare have been combined in this painting to produce a
magical image which celebrates the passing of a comet and gives status to the hare
as one of the important mythical animals in our culture"

10 comments:

Mimi and Tilly said...

Hello, I've been catching up on my blog reading today, and have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog. Bruce is completely fab. I love his fly blanket and hood, and am so glad he can graze without being permanently annoyed by flies. I will be visiting Henny penny's blog. It's so lovely to be able to share something of your life down in Dorset. I am in the north of England in an area I love near to the sea. Thank you for your kind and supportive comments on my blog, they are very much appreciated. Sending smiles. Em xx

Sherri B. said...

I really like the landscapes. Lucky you to be able to live with such a work of art.

Jee said...

Super print - there's always wall space for something you really love, I find.

Menopausal musing said...

Jee beat me to it. I was going to say the same re wall space............... I can see why you brought the print home.

Country Style Living said...

Lovely print...I can see why you decided to give it a new home.

Sylvia said...

Lovely artwork !
This artist uses dark colors and yet so bright.
The painting of the Raven is gorgeous !
You've chosen a wonderful one with the Hare, I think it's very impressive !
Nice Sunday,
Sylvia

create in two and a half hours said...

The Ravens are amazing!
Thanks for your nice comments on my blog.
I am so glad I found your blog!
Happy new week!
Camille from camillecreates.

create in two and a half hours said...

I also love the Grandma's Flower Garden quilt in your banner! The paper pieces with writting are super cool.

ted and bunny said...

Thanks for your comment Camille, the antique quilt dates from the early 1800s and many of the original paper templates still in place are invoices and old letters- I'm never sure which side to display!

Joan said...

I love the hare and the comet print. Love your blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails