Wednesday, July 14

Oh dear, poor Bruce the Horse


Poor old Bruce the Horse. . .

Last year he tore the digital flexor tendon in his
hind fetlock joint (which is like our ankle)
putting him out-of-action for almost 9 months.
 With keyhole surgery and slow but steady rehabilitation he was
doing REALLY well, but we've had a major setback after he slipped on
dry ground causing the joint to become inflamed once again.



After applying cooling clay poultices and ice packs,
(hence the bright white injured leg!) hosing with cold water
and bandaging snugly, the swelling reduced but with
puffiness and inflammation still remaining, he was uncomfortably lame.



The vet came this morning and  diagnosed tenosynovitis, which is basically
acute inflammation of the tendon or tendon sheath.
That area is always going to be weak.
He was very good with his steroid injection and didn't even flinch, 
and I have gel to apply daily to help reduce the fluid in the joint.
We'll continue with cold hosing, and then bandaging with wool wraps
at night to promote a healing blood supply
until the vet's return visit in 10 days.

Once again he's confined to his stable- and not very happy about it at all!

 

I knew from the outset this was a possibility, but it's so disappointing-
I feel like we're back to square one all over again
and I hate to see him in pain.

On the plus side, his willing slaves are on hand to provide his every need-
 he has hay to keep him occupied, thistles and wilted nettles
to gingerly chew, peppermint flavoured salt lick,
a roller ball toy filled with horse-nuts and we'll hang a swede
from a string so he can try to grab a nibble.
Not to mention the massages, scratches, cuddles and chats!


I'll keep you posted with his progress xx

19 comments:

Vintage from the Village said...

Oh poor old Bruce (and you) hope better soon.
Thanks for info on the Ebay link, I will get that sorted
Sue x

sue15cat said...

Aw.....poor Bruce, still it sounds like his every need is being catered for.

Hope he's out of pain soon.

Sue xx

Cheap2Chic said...

Awww bless his little cotton socks, animals are such a worry aren't they xx

Country Cottage Chic said...

Poor old Bruce! The ground has been so dry & hard recently - I can see how slipping could cause injury again. Hope he doesn't take as long to heal this time.
Another idea to keep him amused is to put an apple in his water bucket - bobbing for apples keeps them busy for ages!

Jayne

Serenata said...

Poor ol' Bruce - hope he heals soon. Still he sounds like he has very capable servants to attend to his every need.

Jee said...

Poor Bruce, I love horses, and miss ours terribly, but they are in some ways very delicate creatures on those long fragile legs. Hope he has lots of vistors with treats.

ilovemyhouse said...

Oh my poor Bruce! Good thing youngest daughter is at horsecamp, she can't see any horse that hurts without crying. Hope he will get well soon and his slaves can cope :) Have a lovely day. Here it's scorching HOT. XX

Menopausal musing said...

Poor old Bruce! He seems to be getting all his needs met so here's wishing him a speedy recovery!

sandiart said...

Oh not good to hear, I love horses, always wanted one, however never did that dream become a reality. Wonder if it has anything to do with me being a sagittarian (half horse half human) and in Chinese astrology I was born in the year of the horse. They are such beautiful elegant creatures.
Sandi

Autumn Mist said...

Oh Lordy, we've been there, I know just how it feels, so frustrating. But to be fair, Zak's did get better more quickly the second time, but so annoying to be on box rest AGAIN in the summer. Zak's was a front leg, though. Thinking of you (but not offering to muck out!) xx

Sherri B. said...

I am so sorry that Bruce has tendon problems. It is difficult when our dear animals are not feeling well. His care sounds so good that it almost makes me say "my ankle hurts"! You are a very good Mommy.

The Little Vintage Company said...

Poor Bruce! We have a horse on our yard who has had a similar problem, I hope he makes a quick and steady recovery.

Tamzin X

Sylvia said...

I'm sorry to hear about Bruce, hope he's getting better soon !
I'm sure you're taking good care of him !
Nice day,
Sylvia

KC'sCourt! said...

Get well soon Bruce
Julie xxxxxxx

Annie said...

Poor Bruce, I hope he feels better soon, give him a hug from me.
Ann x

VintageWantsNotNeeds said...

Poor old Bruce, hope he will soon be on the mend, give him an apple from me
Debbie

Hesta Nesta said...

Hi
Thank you for stopping by my Blog and leaving such lovely comments. I do apologise, the web site is rather depleted at the moment, I have neglected it since having the builders in. Hopefully soon we will be finished and I can concentrate my efforts more on re stocking!! Your poor horse, hope he is getting better, but it sounds like he is in safe hands.
Jo xx

::cupcakesandbiscuits:: said...

What a wee shame for Bruce!
Hope he gets over it soon!
Thank you for sending out those patterns so soon I really appreciate it! They look fabby!!
Ali x

jane and the happy crow said...

Poor beautiful Bruce, give him a cuddle from me and a little kiss on his silky neck too. Jane xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails