Monday, October 11

Shabby Shepton :)


A lovely day at the Shepton Fleamarket yesterday!

I was in a rush first thing to deliver Vintage at the Village Hall flyers to
Lizzy and Tracey but (literally!) fell over two French Mannequins
on the way inside and was amazed that they were both within my budget.
I've stripped one ready to re-cover, but the linen on the other is
just TOTALLY divine, and she'll be featuring on some photocalls
before her selling debut at my Vintage Fair in November. . .
at least I get to call her my own until then :)
In the photograph above she's with with a mannequin
I've decoupaged in Victorian pages from The Lady magazine-
the little downstairs hall corner makes a perfect manni stop-off point!

As always Lizzy's stand was full of girly-gorgeousness
and I treated myself to an adorable pink painted French hatstand
decorated with tiny rosebuds, which I had intended to keep
until I saw Bruce's vets bill which arrived this morning!


Ted bought a huge pile of VERY faded and VERY shabby old
Union Jack flags, which I'll be listing on Tedandbunny eBay.
I really love this perfectly aged look and know that others
 will share my enthusiasm!


My favourite purchase was a Guest House Visitors Book
running from 1928 until the outbreak of war in 1939.
Somehow the simple comments and copperplate writing
give it an added poignancy- I can't quite explain why it
feels so special, but I'm keeping it to myself for a while
and imagining who the people were. . .
I'll do a post all about it when I'm ready to share.

Apart from the sharp wind the weather was kind.
 We bumped in to some old friends and compared purchases,
but unfortunately criss-crossed and missing seeing Denise-
take a look at her post about the little coffee table she bought,
its a real 60s delight.

We came away around 3pm happy, penniless and tired. . .
but of course once we got home I had to unwrap EVERYTHING
once again, and spend the evening arranging and re-arranging.
I love my job!



20 comments:

Serenata said...

Sounds like a fairly successful day for all! Denise's table is lovely and so perfect for her Beryl ware :-)

Country Style Living said...

Sounds like a great day was had by all!

A Bun Can Dance said...

Hi Elaine
Thank you for the link :-)
Your mannequins are just gorgeous and isn't it wonderful that the newly acquired ones waited for you to fall over them at the market?
Miss Fern is really getting to be quite the celebrity and she's very aware, as you suggested, that all this can go to a girl's head !!
What a good day out it was for all concerned.
Have a happy week,
Denise x

Nostalgia at the Stone House said...

Hi Elaine,
What a great fair it was...As I am still yet to know what you look like, I'm not sure if our paths crossed...but I did buy the last remaining union flag from Joan's stall upstairs! ;-)) Mine will become an apron for one of my handmade rag dolls!
Adore the mannequin you found.

I received your flyers on Saturday, so will take them to my shop tomorrow...Good luck with all the preparations,
Niki x

The English Writer said...

What a wonderful way to spend the day! and tripping over the mannequins sounded like fate! Glad you enjoyed it, karen.

Menopausal musing said...

Great mannequins........... I am loving the sound of that guest book and very much look forward to you posting about it. Flags sound like a good find too............

Purrfect Haven said...

to love your job is a delight. Helen x

Sylvia said...

Seems you had a great day at the flea market !
The French mannequins are beautiful !
So nice when you love your job.
Enjoy your finds,
Sylvia

Manchester Lass, Now and Then said...

Oh I'm so envious. I would love to visit Shepton and especially to visit Niki's shop. What a marvellous day you had♥ Linda xx

Heidi said...

That manequin is wonderful, your so funny I would have done the same thing when I got home unpacked and put it all away!

sandiart said...

I would love your job!!! Love the decoupage mannequin, I used to do decoupage years ago and loved it.
Hugs Sandi xx

Emma said...

I just had a look at Shepton, It's along way from me, shame as it looks right up my street.
Dottie and Willow send their love to you and your Chucks, they have really settled in now.
Dottie seems to think she is a cat and keeps coming through the cat flap...Em xxx
Have a look at this.
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

Vintage Tea Time said...

Your decoupage (isn't that a lovely word?!) mannequin is gorgeous. Your visitors book sounds fascinating - I love that sort of social history.

Country Cottage Chic said...

Lovely finds!

Horse & vet in the same sentence always means many ££££s!

Jayne

bad penny said...

ooh I'd love that guest book. I recently found a book with a belonds to label - it's a schol boofk so I got the name , form number & dates 1954 lovely.

Sadly we had to burn mums dressmaker dummy it was rotten mice infested & full of woodworm. When she sld her house we had a huge bonfire with the dmmy on the top like Guy Fawlkes !

Your fliers are going up in my village this week !

winnibriggs said...

Hi Elaine
Thanks for the comment. Your early morning ride sounded fabulous. Never ridden myself (they terrify me, although I grew up in the country). Love your latest finds. As soon as my sewing room is finished I will have to come to you to see if you have uncovered any more original mannequins!
Jenny x

Hesta Nesta said...

I love the mannequins, they are gorgeous. I promise I will come to Dorset when you do you next fair, I am only sorry I can't do this one, but I know it will be a huge success.
Jo xx

Kim said...

Got a question, O'Guru of the Blogspot web design...how do I get the big photo on the top of my blog. I have the little log cabin in a small picture on the right hand side but I would like it all across the top.
Maybe I'm blind but my nephew tried to do it for me and said he couldn't find the way to do it either..He has it on his blog though...perhaps I'm not considered techy enough yet by the creators...hahha Love to you and Kit

Kim said...

Oh, Great Master Blogger! You have done it again. You have manipulated my mind to do exactly what you instructed and I am your dutiful student now! Now I can change the header pictures as much as I want to. What fun is this, I say! (I can have fun with the smallest things) Is there no end to your wise capabilities? I'd bow to you but I might get a hitch in my giddyup! love to you and Kit!

Kim said...

I get tickled that you like my little quirky phrases! That picture is of my grandfather's grandmother's house and his two aunts. The gentleman in the swing might be his grandpa...I'll never really know although he looks older than in his fifties and that's when he died. So who knows...but it is a family photo!
Thank you o'great master technowise! love to you and Kit

Related Posts with Thumbnails