Thursday, December 23

the calm before the storm. . .


Looking at my kitchen first thing this morning
in the calm early morning light


it seemed it too was mentally preparing itself for the
Seasonal Storm of baking and cooking


about to be unleashed in a mad flurry
of excitement and anticipation, when every
available surface will be covered
with the preparation of Christmas Delights. . .
I'm the untidiest cook EVER!


For me, this just-me-and-my-kitchen time
 is guaranteed to put me "in the mood" for Christmas,
which has been strangely absent these past few weeks.


Deft juggling of oven space means the Rayburn
will roast beef, chicken, potatoes and veg on Christmas Day
while the pud warms in the simmering oven
and the sprouts, red cabbage and citrus combos
sit on the hotplate


but this morning it's time to bake
Ted's Special Chocolate Cake, do the trifle sponge,
boil the ham, prepare a mountain of veg
and make sweet treats for visitors
who may drop by, now that the clearing snow
makes our lane accessible
(postie please note- you can now deliver!)


For me the culinary highlight is not turkey and trimmings
but Boxing Day lunch-
as Lizzie and I decided, without Christmas
you just couldn't have Bubble and Squeak!


Our table will be festively dressed as we sit down
to dinner early Christmas evening after settling the animals.

We have a toast to absent friends, and to our
lovely family who are sadly no longer with us.

However you spend your Christmastime,
I send you very kindest wishes and
hope the forthcoming New Year will bring
nothing but happiness

18 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

That sounds lovely - may I join you too.........?
Just-me-and-my-kitchen-time will hopefully put me in the mood for Christmas too, the Christmas spirit hasn't got to me yet, I must be last on her list!
Julie xxxxxxx

Annie said...

Your kitchen looks amazing, thanks for letting us have look around. It all looks very tidy and organised, unlike mine. I think the storm has already hit in our house ! I have loved reading your blog this year and visiting your ebay shop. I hope you and all your family have a wonderful christmas and I hope Bruce is coping with the cold.
Ann xxx

Vintage Tea Time said...

What a warm looking kitchen space. We had a Rayburn at our last house - lovely! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas! Abby

sue15cat said...

A lovely tour around your kitchen....mine is currently festooned with tractor parts reclining on the kitchen table, resplendent in their new coat of 'John Deere' green paint. I fear Christmas lunch will be balanced on our knees (at least we wont miss the tele!!).

I hope you and yours and all your animals have a warm and cosy, safe and Happy Christmas. Your Blog has been a very enjoyable place to come during this year and I look forward to lots more of the same next year, thank you.

Special love and chickeny hugs to Hennypenny from 'the chicks'.

Sue xx

tracey @ the vintage bothy said...

Hi there Miss Bunny
Sounds ab fab!
I just wonder how you keep everythng dust free, or are you like me, you just don't notice it after a while?!
T X

Linda said...

Happy Christmas and peace and good will
can't wait for the next Fair xxx Linda

Country Style Living said...

Lovely homely kitchen. Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas.....

funkymonkey said...

You are not the untidiest cook in the world....I am. I love your kitchen, so warm and cosy...totally gorgeous.

Tracey

Sherri B. said...

You might be the untidiest cook over there, but I get the title here across the Pond. Your kitchen is so, so charming and cozy, I love the way you have the pictures you love all around you as you cook.

I am wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a happy, productive New Year.

The Cloth Shed said...

No matter how much empty bench space you start with, it is never enough at Christmas.
Juggling of food on the cooker....yep...I know all about that too!
Have a very Merry Christmas xx
Julie x

Serenata said...

Oh my your kitchen is amazing. So very perfect and if I'd imagined it, just how I would have done for you! Does that make sense? Hope you have fun making lots of lovely yummy goodies. Give big hugs to Bruce and the other animals.

Kim said...

I looove your kitchen! So cozy and I love how you hang the paintings on every available wall...we must be kindred spirits..well of course we are because Kit and Kitton are and I'll let you know a little secret...well it's not too secret...I am the messiest cook and baker in the world....flour everywhere..and every pot messed about! ha ha...I'd really rather paint your Bruce's barn! Merry Christmas! Love to Kit

Kim said...

Just had a quick peek around your kitchen on Zoom mode...couldn't find one speck of anythin' on your floors...well...you won't be gettin' any pictures of MY kitchen floor I can tell you that!

sandiart said...

And a very happy, Merry Christmas to you and your family (and Bruce) xx Sandi

Menopausal musing said...

Loving that shelf with the birds under domes and all the bits and pieces around it....... sighing with lust here........ Have the most wonderful of Christmases and a very Happy New Year.

Hen said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS! Your kitchen looks wonderfully cosy. Hoe you have a fab festive time.
hen xxx

Country Cottage Chic said...

Love your kitchen! I am also in baking & cooking mode today.
Hope you & your family have a very happy Christmas!

Jayne
x

Sylvia said...

What a cosy kitchen !
Merry Christmas to you and your family and a Happy New Year !
Have a wonderful time,
Sylvia

Related Posts with Thumbnails