Thursday, January 13

The Hearth Rug's Tale. . .

I just love the way things work out. . .

Many years ago at our local fleamarket I bought some lovely antique handbags from a lady, asked if she had any others and was invited to her house to browse the vintage collection she was selling.

Over the years our paths criss-crossed, she moved
to the village next to mine and we became friends.
Last year she bought a 1930's house to renovate and asked if I'd like the furnishings that had been left in situ- some pretty chintz curtains, brocade cushions and a sweet little hooked wool hearth rug.


I listed the rug on tedandbunny eBay auctions where it was bought
by Tanis, who sent me this lovely picture of it
cosily installed on her narrowboat Cair Paravel

She summed it up perfectly in her email
". . .its good to know eBay works well in such ways.
Its about ordinary folk connecting and doing business,
moving things that still have history to gather. . ."


11 comments:

John Gray jgsheffield@hotmail.com said...

like pets
antiques always need a good home

Sylvia said...

What a lovely story, Elaine, so nice you became friends !
Hugs,
Sylvia

Annie xx TheFeltFairy said...

A lovely story and as a dog mad lady the picture made me go ohhhhh!

Vintage Tea Time said...

That's lovely. It's great when people buy things from you and you know they're going to love them - and even better if you have some follow up. I sold a young girl some vintage crockery and cakestands a few months ago and she emailed me showing them in use at her 'vintage' wedding - she said they'd really thrilled her on the day. :)

sharie said...

How nice of her to send you a photo of the rug in its new home. So glad it went to someone who appreciates it.

Menopausal musing said...

That whole photo just shouts "cosy". What a lovely follow up to your sale. :O)))

Donna ~ Love.Hope.Craft said...

How lovely of her to share the photos of the rug in situ. :0)
Looks cosy to me..

bad penny said...

aww that's sweet

BusyLizzie said...

Lovely story, I wonder where my dolls will end up after the weekend.. see you Sunday! xx

vintage mum said...

Lovely story
Cate x

bois-fleurie said...

I never thought of eBay like that,its so true.

Related Posts with Thumbnails