Tuesday, June 28

going with the flow

In a reflective mood (possibly [nay probably] after one glass of wine too many!) it occurred to me that although things don't always "go to plan", 
if we go with the flow rather than railing against it (after all who made the plan anyway?). . .


I was writing this yesterday when  
WHOOSH!!!!!! TOOOOOOOOOOOOTAL BLACKOUT!!!!
in the form of a power cut that lasted all day!

Staring aghast at the black screen, thinking of all the "stuff" I 'd yet to cram into my electricity-dependant day, it dawned on me that maybe I oughta take heed of what I'd written :)

Un-showered and with a bad-hair-day-headband covering the worst of the worst, I returned the mountain of washing to the laundry basket, ignored the hoovering (never difficult) phoned instead of emailed, wrote a letter to accompany some photos I would normally have scanned (rather nice actually SPEAKING & WRITING to people) saved a whole heap of time drinking water instead of endless pots of tea, sat in the garden to hand-hem some fabrics, concocted a delicious fruit salad for a friend's Birthday Tea instead of baking a cake and I even managed to SORT OUT MY SHED- I can't remember the last time I saw the floor, let alone swept it!!
I rubbed-down a bookcase by hand (pleasingly Mindful) and whilst doing so changed my mind about the intended paint colour- an inspired choice because I'd forgotten I had some fabric to match- and cleaned, oiled and serviced the 2 old Singer sewing machines I "re-discovered" in the shed, ready for sale.

I had a fabulously productive, completely unplanned and deliciously sunny day.

Sometimes, you surge forward like a big wide river swishing along on a strong current, swirling and lapping over anything that might interrupt the flow, driven to reach your destination.
And sometimes you meander at whim, filling little tributaries along the way, spreading outwards instead of forwards with less force, less oomph and less sense of direction.You probably cover the same amount of ground and use the same amount of water, but maybe you think because you've not reached a destination it's not as good.

By the time Ted came home from work I'd made a huge salad for tea and set the table in the garden.
"nice salad. . .but no minty potatoes?"
"we had a power cut this morning. It's been off all day"
"did you check the trip-switch???"





24 comments:

BusyLizzie said...

Brilliant post Ms Bunny! It reminds me of the times over the past 2 winters when we have either had no power (trip switch not an option! ha ha) or have been totally snowed in... which has driven me to tidy, sort, organise, write letters.. wall paper dollshouses.. see http://thedollshousediaries.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-05-27T05%3A16%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=9
Fantastic seeing how much one can achieve off-line.. haha. Liz xxxx

Busy Lizzie said...

sorry that link should be http://thedollshousediaries.blogspot.com/2010/01/lines-brothers-1915-dolls-house.html
.. oh and I had time to play with ski dolly in the snow! xxx

Pomona said...

That's why everyone got more done in the past - no distractions. At least you didn't go as far as ringing the electricity board and have to be taken through resetting the trip!

Pomona x

Hesta Nesta said...

Fabulous post Miss Bunny, sounds like the perfect day to me! When we lived in Devon many years ago I was hoovering the lounge when suddenly the hoover came to a grinding halt! Thinking it was blocked (as usual) I spent an hour taking it apart and then putting it back together with much swearing! I turned to see what the time was on the DVD player and we were in the midst of a power cut, so all my hard work and swearing had been in vain!! Enjoy the rest of your week.
Jo xx

sue15cat said...

Haha....Pomona...I did!!

I had a similar sort of day the other week, Bunny, well a few hours anyway. It's amazing what you can get done when there's no computer for a start. Once I had re-set my trip switch on my 'power cut' I didn't bother getting the laundry back out and left the hoover 'pdessmearked' in the middle of the room and carried on with my non-electrical jobs.

It actually sounds like you had a really good day. Makes you think about life before electricity !!

Sue xx

Rose H (UK) said...

I was completely enraptured reading your post, thinking I really MUST turn off this laptop, and oh lummy, a day without tea - then I got to the last line! Hahaha!

Menopausalmusing said...

That final line came as a total surprise and had me roaring with laughter........ Know what you mean about beig sooooo dependent on electricity though....

Jee said...

It's very liberating being totally unable to get on with normal daily life. I've just had ten days unable to do the washing because there was a pipe organ in the utility room accompanied by our entire collection of books. Unable to sew for the same reason, and unable to sort out the wardrobe which was a big item on my list as another musical instrument has been in the way for nearly two months. I've done a lot of paperwork I'd been putting off, caught up with ironing and done some gardening instead. We're just about to lose use of the kitchen for a week or so as the another ot of decorators are starting so it's salad from now on for a bit, hurrah!

Gretel said...

Oooh, but it was worth it - amazing what one can get done if you really have to, well done!

Lalabibaby @ Dreaming of The Simple Life said...

All the best laid plans hey.... going with the flow is surely the best way and look at the fab day you had. Your OH will live on this one for yonks x

Sherri B. said...

This is such a great post!! I have always found it interesting that when the power fails we really have more time...you know, without all of those modern conveniences....I am assuming that the switch was tripped, sounds like something I would do. Hahaha! xo

vintage mum said...

A wondeful read
maybe we should all have one non electricity day a month
Cate x

Country Cottage Chic said...

It is amazing how much you can get done when there is no internet to distract you!

polkadotpeticoat said...

That would so be my hubby asking about potatoes....too funny!

Susan T said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day sans electricity, back to basics and so much done ! very impressive. I tend to go into panic mode when the electricity goes off, mind you it makes it easier if it is Summer, winter without heat or light is miserable.

Laughed at the last line, now who does that remind me of? Oh ME!

Fading Grace said...

You sent me back to the time when my youngest was little, I was a single mum, living in a tiny dilapidated cottage, with no heating, EEEk! we had hot water bottles. The electricity was on a key meter you had to top up at the post office. I was forever broke, and running out of electric and so spent the evenings painting the House red and purple cause that was the only paint that I found in the shed!!! all my furniture was from the dump, but do you know what I think I was happy! Yey! for the good old days, I think we should have a national non electric day or something! I loved your post xx

My Spotty Pony said...

When our electric last went off, my son flew into a total panic. What could he do?.. no TV, no computer games and no facebook! He was driving me mad, so I did what I said I would never do, and uttered those words that my mother used to say to me,
"You don't know how lucky you are, when I was your age...."!!
Abby x

Edward said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, I thought I would check out your blog. Yep so much more gets done when there are no machines to distract us, says I happily typing away, but it is true. I got into horses because my machine broke, and that is probably the best thing I have ever done. It sounds like you got a lot done with out any electric, nice job. I am now following your blog and I look forward to reading more of your posts.
Regards
Edward

Sylvia said...

It's remarkable how different a day can be without electricity !
Looks like you had a nice day, Elaine :-)
We had a short power cut in the evening a few weeks ago, we went for a nice walk and when we came back it was fixed.
Enjoyed this post !
Hugs,
Sylvia

OhSoVintage said...

Uh- oh! But didn't you have a nice day? How much we rely on all things electric and if I have to go several days without accessing the computer I feel quite 'lost' whereas plenty of my life has been spent before it was invented!
Ruth x

Donna ~ Little Tiny Stitches said...

I loved this one, and was so NOT expecting the ending :o)

Hope you're all fine and dandy over there, and the sun keeps shining for you :o)

Love n hugs,
Donna xxx

Vintage Jane said...

What's a trip switch and where does one find one??!!

sandiart said...

Uh oh, just the trip meter then??
x Sandi

Dartford Warbler said...

Hello!
Just paying you a return call after you found my blog yesterday. Yes, I think we are fairly near neighbours...

I shall enjoy looking back over your blog posts and I know I`ll be tempted by the lovely things in your vintage shop.

Sometimes I have car-free days when I stay here and get so much done. Your day without electricity sounds so productive!

Best wishes,
DW

Related Posts with Thumbnails