Friday, August 19

now look what you've made me do!

So here's the thing. . .

I'm not ashamed to admit I started blogging to publicise my eBay sales and website (believe me, in order to spend even MORE time at the computer it needed strong justification)

But then it started to get more interesting. . .

I looked at the blogs of those who encouraged me and found kindred spirits.
People who led lives as busy as mine, who liked vintage pieces, furnished as I did, enjoyed the daft things I enjoyed, had mishaps with recipes, upsets with life, disappointments and triumphs and weren't ashamed to laugh at themselves.

Some were longstanding eBay buyers who've become Real People. Many bloggers I've enjoyed actually meeting and many I know I'll never meet and that doesn't matter either. Sharing random emails with an acquaintance-who-isn't-quite-a-stranger-but-isn't-a-full blown-pal can be supportive, caring, funny and informative because no baggage comes with it. What you read is what you get.

Soooo. . .

I don't bare my soul on my blog because I don't do that in real life. I try to keep happy and upbeat because I think life's too short to do otherwise, but I do tell about my Thoughts now and again because through blogging I've realised the value of airing and sharing.

Among the blog network of like-minded people I was encouraged to run Vintage at the Village Hall and buyers came from miles away cos they'd read about it on my blog and I was amazed how many others posted publicity for me, and sent messages of support when they saw the shimmer of  doubt that "I'd taken on too much"!

Wanting to capture the beauty of where I live and share  things that come into my life meant buying a camera more advanced than I ever judged myself capable of using. I learnt because I had an objective, and now I love photographing!

I struggle with technical issues but feel great pride in the computer skills I've developed- many of them patiently explained after "how do I do this" appeals, posted and swiftly answered.

Looking at all the crafting things you do encouraged me to hand make Christmas gifts, and the tried-and-tested recipes you post have taken the doubt out of dabbling with unfamiliar ingredients!

And now. . .

after a break of some 25 years I've begun knitting again- Another fine mess you've got me into!
It's all garter stitch, the wool is knobbly and forgiving and although its a vintage pattern the shape is simple enough even for me!

But then. . .

the bloggiest thing of all happened

I had to make a knitting bag to put my work in, photograph the whole lot and tell everyone what I'd done! 
thankyou from the bottom of my heart- I couldn't have done any of it without the support of all you fabulous people xx

24 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

Thats the trouble with blogging! We like to try out new things and show what we have done, or we are encourage to pick up a hobby that we haven't touched in a long time and also show what we have done! I used to be very very shy about showing people what I have made now - well I have no qualms about it!!
Julie xxxxx

Alix said...

There must be something in the air - I just took up knitting again (last week) and my friend from uni days, who lives nearish-by, ended up in the same shop, buying wool at a different time of the day, completely co-incidentally! Have fun with your needles - it seems it all comes back to you once you get started ( I thought I'd forgotten!)
x

Pomona said...

That's the best thing about blogging - you can show and tell your makes to all sorts of people who are interested in them - rather than boring your nearest and dearest and egging them on to ever more effusive comments. I do like your knitting bag - you can never have too many knitting bags for holding all those WIPs and stash that creep up on you overnight. And as to the blessings of a good thick knitted vest - you know my feelings on the importance of vests, and yes, I am wearing one today under my summer frock. You can never be too careful . . .

Pomona x

sue15cat said...

Lovely post. It is funny how we are encouraged to try things we might never have because of Blogging pals.

I did try the knitting lark....briefly, I got to 3 squares for a granny blanket and then I realised knitting made me stressed out!!

I do like your knitting bag, I bet they'd sell well on Ebay.

Sue xx

helen tilston said...

A great post and I love your attitude of remaining happy and positive. Yeah!

I agree with so much of what you say and the delightful friendships developed through blogging is so very, very special

Happy knitting
Helen xx

Sherri B. said...

Great post! Blogging does take us places we never thought we would go. I have enjoyed you and your blog and never tire of hearing your bits of life...Good job on your knitting bag!! xo

melbatoast68 said...

Yea!!! I knew you'd catch the bug! I have some pictures up you might enjoy. I actually thought of you while I was there because of the whole vintage thing...Everything looks like it's transitioning from the 50's to the 60's. Can't wait to see your finished vest and the bag is great!

Hesta Nesta said...

I too love blogging as you meet and swap ideas and stories about your life with many other like minded people. I have also met people (you included) that I may never have met otherwise, all because of writing a Blog! It is lovely to think it brings us all together, and I agree, everyone is so lovely. Keep up with the knitting, it's looking fab, mine would be full of massive holes where I drop stitches! Hope you weren't flooded yesterday! Have a lovely weekend.
Jo xx

Mimi and Tilly said...

Your words int his blog post have warmed my heart. I have found so many creative, kind, supportive friends through blogging (I count you in that group lovely lady!)and I have yet to meet one of them! My life is far richer thanks to blogging and the blogging friends I have, I have tried a whole bunch of new things and I totally agree with you, that it has been a huge surprise to me to find how much blogging has come to mean to me!

tracey @ the vintage bothy said...

I don't do knitting but do do listening!
T x
ps nice move on Teds behalf, heres hoping for warm days for you.

Vintage from the Village said...

Lovely post.My husband still doesnt understand my blogging !
Good luck with the knitting
Sue x

Edward said...

Yep blogging is a lot of fun and lots of the people on blogger are sane unlike where I live, so it is a nice to spend some time blogging, and it gives me a chance to ramble on a bit too, good post as always, and good luck with your knitting, have fun.
Regards
Edward

Elegancemaison said...

What a lovely post from a very modest lady. In fact you inspired me in the pre-blogging days with how hard you worked seeking out treasures for your Ebay site, when I purchased from you or met you at fairs. Your example helped me to focus on what I was really interested in (fashion and textiles)and to recognise that to be successful and happy, you not only have to 'put in the time', but you need to concentrate on the things that you most enjoy. I love the way your blog delights in the simple pleasures of daily life and when I read it, I remind myself to relax and remember that this is what really counts.

Menopausalmusing said...

Aw shucks.......... I was thinking of learning how to shoe horses......... know any nice farriers?

Gypsy and Nell said...

The same thing happened to me....not the knitting bag!!....started blogging to promote Fading Grace, and then before I knew it, I was hooked. Like you I've learnt so much from other bloggers, great ideas, and a sense of thinking, I'm possibly not as strange as I thought I was! it's so nice to share thoughts with like minded people. I always look forward to reading your posts xx
Sophie
P.s love the knitting!! x

Donna ~ Little Tiny Stitches said...

What a lovely, post :o)
Indeed it is wonderful that you have started to knit again!

It will relax you after one of your more busier days and you probably already know about the sense of satisfaction...

I'm really pleased for you. there's nothing more comforting than playing with some fabulous yarn..

Have a brilliant weekend Elaine. xx

Donna ~ Little Tiny Stitches said...

p.s. have I missed your sylko threads auction?
xx

YONKS said...

Well done you! It's funny the encouragement blogging brings. Now I have to get out my cobweb ridden sewing machine :-)
Di
X

VintageWantsNotNeeds said...

Well done on taking up knitting again after all these years, taking the time to just sit and knit is so relaxing. I have to say that I buy the most lovely books full of patterns but have not picked up needles in years. Last time I knitted was one Christmas when my girls were younger and we did not have much money and so I knitted everybody jumpers for Christmas. Took me ages and don't think I have picked up a pair of needles since. I have all my Mum and my Nan's old needles all safely stowed away, maybe one day I might get them out again.
By the way did you get around to making one of the paper bag gift bags.

ilovemyhouse said...

It's good to be back. Reading your post i see what i missed, your terrific sense of humor :)

xx

sandiart said...

What we can achieve with some encouragement and a helping hand hey!
Great job on all fronts Elaine, hope you are coming along with the vest and it is getting easier.
x Sandi

millefeuilles said...

Yes!!! Blogland gives a huge helping hand in encouraging us mortels to CREATE! It is truly wonderful.

Well done on starting up knitting again. Another joy in perspective.

Stephanie

My Spotty Pony said...

Dear Elaine, I should thank YOU for getting me started on blogging and also for writing the many wonderful posts that always make me smile. I am very impressed that you have been knitting, last time I held needles and wool was as school 35 years ago! Hope your week is going well for you. Abby xx

Miss Mary Elliott said...

I love reading your blog-you have such a way with words it always cheers me up & makes me laugh :)
It's nice to meet such un upbeat positive person and who shares similar interests! quite hard to find in the real world...have fun with the knitting. I really have to learn how to crochet, my next project :) xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails