Wednesday, October 19

The Nimbus Patent Hat Retainer


Unashamedly plugging an item I've got listed on eBay!
at a reduced SALE PRICE!!

(I don't pimp my stock very often,
so I hope you'll forgive me!)


Ages ago we cleared the store rooms behind an old shop
that had originally been a drapers and millinery emporium
and found, wrapped in brown paper tied with string,
a pile of these old cardboad advertising placards for
The Nimbus Patent Hat Retainer.


                          
They sold successfully and I thought they'd all gone
until tidying out my own stockroom last week,
I found 8 remaining that I'd put to one side
because the corners were slightly scuffed.

I've listed them on eBay this week with a reduced
buy-it-now selling price of just £6.95 + postage


Really quite quirky- I've never seen a hat retainer
and would love to hear from you if you have one
in your collection-
they date circa 1930s and are true Vintage Originals!

10 comments:

Annie xx TheFeltFairy said...

They are amazing! I love the sepia tint x

Jee said...

I'm intrigued - wonder how they worked?

melbatoast68 said...

I don't have one, but I remember my grandmother talking about something similar. I think she called it a hat ring and said they were uncomfortable.

polkadotpeticoat said...

What an a amazing item......

OhSoVintage said...

I've never heard of these and wonder how they work. Bet you found some real treasures at the draper's/milliner's.
xx

VintageWantsNotNeeds said...

Another of those weird and whacky little numbers, long gone along with the lethal hat pin. Brilliant bit of old advertising.

Menopausalmusing said...

I would love to see one in real life. Am looking at that last illustration and wondering how it pokes through the hat without damaging it, or am I being thick? (Answers on a postcard! ;O))

Sylvia said...

I've never seen a hat retainer and I wonder if I would feel comfortable waring it :-)
Nice evening,
Sylvia

haizi daizi said...

I love cardboard signs, the artwork and the name certainly catches your attention. I'm so tempted to buy one but I'm still in the middle of sorting out the chaos from moving house and sadly need to discipline myself. Have a good day, Haizi x

Mimi and Tilly said...

I'm off to your ebay shop now to take a peek, I think these design boards are really beautiful items, it's such a shame we don't still see them in shops in the same way. Although I do walk past the window displays in Accessorize and pine over some of the cardboard cutouts and photos they use, I wonder where they end up after the display has been taken down? The title "hat retainer" made me smile, did people have hats all over the place that were trying to make a break for it? Why did they need to have a special tool to retain them? Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog post about being age-appropriate. I was nervous about letting loose with my rant but am glad i did as I received so much support from lovely people like you! Big hugs, Em xxx

Related Posts with Thumbnails