Friday, February 17

chocolate viennese whirls. . .easier than I ever thought possible!


I love to busy myself with "plain" cooking but have always avoided dainty things that require piping as they look so fiddly and time consuming.
However. . .these taste mouth-meltingly delicious, look quite posh and really were the Easiest Peasy possible to make!
By the time I got round to taking a pic there were only two little fellows left, and they'd disappeared before I checked the photos were in focus!

  • 250g/9oz very soft butter
  • 50g/2oz icing sugar
  • 250g/9oz plain flour
  • 50g/2oz cornflour
  • ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 50g/2oz soft butter, 100g/40z icing sugar & tablespoon cocoa powder dissolved in 1/2 tablespoon of milk for the buttercream
  • about 100g/4oz plain choc for dipping coat
  1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
  2. Put the butter, icing sugar, plain flour, cornflour and vanilla extract in a food processor and blend until smooth. You may need to scrape the mixture down a couple of times with a rubber spatula.
  3. Spoon the dough into a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle. Pipe approx 35 rosettes of the dough approx 1-1/2", spacing well apart (or you could just put spoonsful of mixture in little mounds and have viennese dollops. . .)
  4. Bake in the centre of the oven for 13-15 minutes or until pale golden-brown and firm. Cool on the baking tray for about 5 minutes, remove to wire rack.
  5. When cool, melt the dark choc in a basin in the microwave or on the stove and dip half of each biscuit in the choc. Place on baking parchment and leave to set.
  6. For the filling, put the butter in a bowl and sift the icing sugar on top. Add the dissolved cocoa/milk and beat with a wooden spoon or an electric whisk until very light and smooth. Spoon into a clean piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle. 
  7. Pipe the buttercream icing onto half of the biscuits and sandwich. Put on a serving plate and dust with sifted icing sugar/cocoa. Serve. Eat. Enjoy


PS I made an alternative batch of these for a friend who doesn't "do" chocolate (heathen!) and put finely grated lemon rind in the mixture, and sandwiched together with plain buttercream (with vanilla essence) and lemon curd. . .have to admit that I actually preferred them!
xx

14 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

Think I'll go and find my large piping nozzle!
Julie xxxxxxxxx

Alix said...

Those look lovely and the lemon ones sound delicious! I love a bit of faffing with a piping bag, so I think I will have a go!
x

Jill said...

You are making my mouth water, and I have only just had breakfast!
Jillx

Liz said...

Thanks for recipe - they look yummy!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

vintage mum said...

They look better than shop bought, A*
Cate x

Susan T said...

Somewere in my kitchen drawers is a piping bag. It is worth having a rummage to make these, thanks for the tip off.

Hesta Nesta said...

I will certainly have a go at making these they look so yummy but I don't think they will hang around too long in this house either! Thanks for the recipe. Have a lovely weekend.
Jo xx

Trixie@ the vintage bothy said...

I don't usually cook if I have to measure & faff, however I have recently started a bit of baking, so may give them a go, the only problem is that it is so cold in this house our butter stays solid at all times!!
T x

sue15cat said...

Oooh I used to make these all the time for my boys, but no dainty little rosettes for them, I used to pipe the mixture into fingers and dip one end in chocolate.


I remember making a batch of 100 for a family wedding reception once, I don't think we actually managed to get all 100 there :-)

Sue xx

Sherri B. said...

Yummy !! My mouth is watering as I type..That is a great recipe and would be a good one to really impress someone, that is if they last that long..haha! Have a great weekend! xo

delia hornbook said...

They look yummy thank you for sharing the recipe.Have a lovely weekend, dee x

Purrfect Haven said...

yum! Love Helen, Darcy and Bingley xxx

melbatoast68 said...

That is some dangerous stuff...looks so yummy

Sylvia said...

Mmm, they look delicious, Elaine, would love to have one now with my coffee :-)
Nice Sunday,
Sylvia

Related Posts with Thumbnails