Friday, September 7

Faves. . .



 
My taste is somewhat eclectic to say the least and I've never quite managed
to get a "look" without going off on a tangent and embracing another one.
 
Everything sits together with friendliness if not total harmony, and I keep
things simply because I love them.
 
Someone asked me last week if living in a house full of Favourite Things
could I choose Super Favourites- like Desert Island Discs for Furniture!
 
The painted pine lorry above is a toy box, made just after WW2,
and it makes me think of that shiny little face unwrapping
such a lovingly handmade birthday or Christmas present with
glee and anticipation. . .
 
Its sits on a shabby old leather-topped desk pulled out
of a roadside skip (now you know why I drive a pick-up!)
I had plans to brighten it but its sooooooo mellow I can never
quite bring myself to put the paint on. . .
 
 
 
My desk chair is an an old hall chair my Nana got from a
Country House auction before I was born.
When we were children we always thought it was a little throne
because of the Armorial Crest!
 

 
I bought these 2 wooden apothecary jars at our local market years back.
I was late and all the dealers had been-&-gone and yet
the jars remained, just waiting for me- I can never figure out
why no-one else saw them
 
 
The carved wooden crest came from a bootsale,
it's so dusty I can't show you a close up!
the unicorn has a knitting needle for his horn but hey. . .!
 

 
1950s Poodle lampshade!
(need I say more??)
 
 
Black Mammy notepads- produced to celebrate the popularity of
Hattie Daniels character in Gone With the Wind
 
 
"Letters to Keep, Letters I Love"
what a story those two little phrases could tell. . .
bought from Lizzie at Shepton Flea and I meant to
sell them on again- honest ;0)

 
Faded French velvet. . .three of my favourite words!

 
 
WS Coleman silk- bought in the early 1970s at a church jumble sale
and I've so loved ever since.

 
Victorian stone garden cherubs which never found their way into the garden

 
I bought this needlework and frame at the same fleamarket
but on different stalls and on different days-
they fit each other perfectly and the tack marks on the back married up,
 so I think they began life together, were parted and reunited

 
one of my most favourite pieces of fabric 48" square.
I kept draping it over things cos I couldn't bear to
cut it for cushions and Ted surprised me one weekend
by secretly mounting it on board and hanging above the sofa.
 
Of course there's so much more. . .

11 comments:

elegancemaison said...

I like to think that I'm in the eclectic club too, but Mr EM assures me (non too happily), that I'm simply a hoarder.

I love your Faves too - the poodle lampshade, the wooden lorry, the apothecary jars..and most acquired on the PRIMARY market, yes indeed Elaine.

YONKS said...

What a great collection and what I wouldn't give for that toy truck and wooden apothecary jars. Just let me know when you tire of them :-)

Keep collecting!
Di
X

Ivy Black said...

Wonderful! I do lov ethe way everything sits with everything else. I do think collectors of eclectic ephemera( I think that's what they call it!)have an eye when it comes displaying it and embracing it into their homes.
I have similar tastes..old toys, religuious pitures, faded things and textiles. I've always collected things like this since I was wee...I'm not gonna change now!
xxxxx

Deborah said...

You have some wonderful treasures here, loving the crest, cross, lampshade, everything!! have a wonderful weekend sweetie

Bee happy x

Minerva Black the shoppe keeping cat said...

Lots to love here! And I agree, having much loved items in our homes is what makes them ours. I adore these! x

menopausalmusing said...

Lovely collection of "stuff" Elaine, but its the Black Mammy notepads that do it for me! Wonderful, just wonderful!

Sue said...

Some beautiful things there and they all look well loved. Only the best things are well loved I find.

How lovely of of Ted to mount the fabric for you, it's wonderful.

Sue xx

Donna -Little Tiny Stitches said...

Such beautiful treasured treasures :o)

How lovely of Ted to make sure you kept your favourite piece forever :o)

Take care lovely lady. xx

nilly said...

You've got me mentally sorting through my heaps of old "treasures". Not sure I can narrow it down though...
Love the way yours live in such happy harmony.

Rose H (UK) said...

I love eclectic :o) Each piece found and treasured, and they all look so unique and lovely. I think the fact the unicorns horn is a knitting needle is wonderful!
Rose H
x

Vintage Jane said...

A lovely collection of treasures. I too have so many things that have no use but I find beautiful and can't bear to part with ... many bought to sell, but they never made it out the door again! M x

Related Posts with Thumbnails