Monday, October 29

cheap 'n' cheerful foodie post



 
I've got an absolute passion for both beetroot and hummus
so how better to satisfy both cravings than a BIG bowl of. . .
beetroot hummus!
 
 
 
My culinary skills are a bit haphazard so if you need exact quantities
you'll have to Google your own recipe,
but this is how it works for me. . .
 
I soak and cook dried chickpeas cos I have the Rayburn running 24/7
so for me it's much cheaper than tinned,
 and I use about the same amount as in one tin
which I put in the food processor along with
one clove of garlic peeled and squashed
one big cooked beetroot quartered
a large tablespoon tahini
a glug of good olive oil (my one weakness is GOOD oil in hummus)
a few grinds of ground black pepper
a decent pinch of sea salt
and as much natural yoghurt as you need to make
the consistency you require.
 
Blitz to your hearts content, scraping the sides down
to get it all into the blades.
If you don't have a processor, a hand blender works
but chop the garlic first.
 
In the photo below I omitted the beetroot and instead added
a handful of stoned olives and a generous squirt of tomato puree
to make olive and tomato hummus to go with the
honey and walnut soda  bread. . .
 
 
Walnut & Honey Soda Bread
 best eaten on the day baked but delicious toasted if you have leftovers!
 
about 100g walnuts
100g honey
250g flour- white or wholemeal, your preference
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch salt
 
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/ gas mark 6 and flour OR oil a baking sheet.
Put half walnuts into a food processor and crush to a coarse powder.
Break the remainder into rough chunks.
Put the honey in a pan with 130ml water and heat gently until dissolved.
Put flour, baking powder, salt and all the walnuts in a large bowl and mix.
Pour in the honey water and mix to a soft dough.
Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface,
shape it into a rough, round loaf and place on the baking tray.
Slice a deep cross into the top,
going almost right the way through to the baking tray.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, until risen and golden
(tap it underneath,it should sound "hollow")
Cool and eat,

we had it with the vegetable and barley soup below. . .

 
chop a red onion or two and soften in a pan with a glug of olive oil,
add teaspoon dried oregano
diced carrots and celery and as many chili flakes as suit your taste,
pop the lid on the pan and soften for 5 minutes or so.
Add a jug of stock (I save the water from boiling potatoes
but you could use proper stock, or a cube/powder- whatever you have to hand)
half a cupful of pearl barley,
 bring to the boil and simmer 20 mins or so until the barley is cooked.
Add another jug of liquid (I find this depends on how much
the barley has absorbed and how fluid you like your soup)
a handful of frozen peas
2 tablespoons tomato puree
tin of chopped tomatoes
any other leftover veg
season to taste.
 
This soup is best left overnight to steep the flavours
but if you want a quick cook-&-eat soup and don't have
an Important Meeting next day (as they do live up to their culinary reputation)
then Jerusalem Artichokes are great. . .
 

 
sweat a red onion in a glug of oil until soft but not brown
add a few chopped sticks of celery
half a dozen chopped carrots
a good pinch of dried coriander or a handful of leaves
about 1lb of peeled artichokes
and soften in the oil for 10 minutes or so.
Add a jug of stock
simmer til soft and blitz or blend
adjust the seasoning to your liking
but don't overpower as the artichokes have quite a delicate taste.
 
A dollop of yoghurt or a scattering of whatever takes your fancy
is good to serve
 
 
 
adapt, experiment, eat and enjoy!
xx
 

8 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

It all looks absolutely yummy! May I come to lunch too........
Julie xxxxxxx

Hesta Nesta said...

My mouth is watering...proper comfort food perfect for this time of year.
Jo xx

menopausalmusing said...

We share similar tastes in food: I ADORE beetroot. As for fartichokes, I parboil them in water with a little lemon juice, then sautee them in butter and toss in some chopped slices of orange at the end. Artichokes are so delicious and smokey, but my, the after effects..........

BadPenny said...

Oh no...no beetroot for me thanks!
(I shudder with memories of school dinners - slimey beetroot, ham & mash I think ! )
A friend makes hot artichoke & parmesan dip - scrummy.

Cathy's fartichokes made me giggle !

The Vintage Gardener said...

They all look yummy scrummy!

delia hornbook said...

Oh My goodness my taste buds are running a mock with all that food. I love beetroot did you try the beetroot and chocolate cake on Saturday? my goodness its was good and so moist. I love homemade soup i may be giving your receipes a try :-) dee xx

Sylvia said...

Thanks for all the recipes, Elaine, I've never tasted beetroot ...
Hope you and Bruce enjoyed the ride !
Nice week,
Sylvia

Theophanie said...

Lol. Well, I didn't put them together, but I made/cooked both beets and hummus yesterday. :) Too bad we're not neighbors; I bet we would have some pretty fun lunches!

Related Posts with Thumbnails