Friday, October 5

yummmmmmmmmmmmm. . .the easiest cake in the world!



 
I wanted to take the pic just after it came out of the oven, but I left it to cool
and one slice went. . .and then another. . .and. . .
 
Just a plain but totally delish loaf cake and probably the easiest
recipe to follow and bake. I had the food processor out ready for
blitzing soup, so I processed the whole lot and it took longer
to weigh out the ingredients than it did to prepare!
 
Orange Marmalade Loaf Cake
 
200g / 8 oz plain flour (I used SR cos its all I had in the larder)
3 teaspoons baking powder
100g / 4 oz butter - softened (I don't eat butter so I used margarine)
50g / 2 oz light brown sugar
1/2 orange zest (all I had was 2 satsumas so I grated them)
2 eggs - medium to large
3 tablespoons orange marmalade (I used 4 heaped!)
3 tablespoons milk
 
  • Sift the flour twice with the baking powder
  • Rub in the diced butter (like making pastry)
  • Mix in the sugar and zest
  • Beat in the eggs, marmalade and milk to form a batter
  • Spoon in to a greased 1lb loaf tin or other suitable ovenproof dish/ tin
  • Bake in a preheated oven gas 4 / 180c / 350f for 1 & 1/4 - 1 & 1/2 hours
  • or until cooked in the middle (I covered the top for the last 10 mins) 

  •  
    eat and enjoy! xx

    18 comments:

    Sylvia said...

    Mmm, this cake looks delicious, Elaine, wish I could taste some now :-)
    Thanks for the recipe,
    Sylvia

    Sherri B. said...

    Yum is right, my Mister will love this..Off I go to put marmalade and oranges on my market list! Thank you, my dear! xo

    lettice leaf said...

    Sounds delish... Lassie why don't you eat butter?
    Butter is a whole food, look what's in the ingredients of margarine!

    Sorry if I sound pious!

    LLX

    KC'sCourt! said...

    Mmmmmmmmm!
    Any left?
    Julie xxxxxx

    Hesta Nesta said...

    Sounds absolutely delish, will have to try this one out....I love cake! Have a super weekend.
    Jo xx

    Susan T said...

    I know what I will be making on Sunday. A just adore marmalade.

    elegancemaison said...

    How funny - I love your amendments to the original recipe. I do that all the time. I will def try this with my own amendments. Thank you.

    nilly said...

    Still wondering how you get into those fancy pants...

    Rose H (UK) said...

    Looks and sounds delish!
    Rose H
    x

    menopausalmusing said...

    I am slobbering just looking at the screen. I have had to put myself on a diet......... pfft.

    Liz said...

    Cake looks delish but I adore those plates!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    BadPenny said...

    mmmmmmm I can smell the aroma !

    Pomona said...

    I have a similar problem - it looks absolutely delicious. I can foresee a fat winter as I no longer have big boys to eat all the cake, and it will end up being me!

    Pomona x

    Vintage Jane said...

    So good and so easy. Sounds just perfick! M x

    WinnibriggsHouse said...

    Had to get that one down in my recipe book, always looking for good cakes to pack up hubby. Though by the sound of how quickly yours went its doubtful if it will ever make the sandwich box.
    Hope you got Bruces blanket mended, still altering trousers!! xx

    Annmarie Pipa said...

    the ingredients sound fabulous! thank you for the recipe.

    Alix said...

    My mouth is watering just reading this (my post for today expresses my love of cake...) My mum used to make a marmalade loaf when I was young and it is definitely one of my favourites. Will have to make this - so thanks for the memories and the recipe.
    x

    Purrfect Haven said...

    yum, mouth is watering and I have only just had breakfast. Love Helen, Darcy and Bingley xxx

    Related Posts with Thumbnails