Tuesday, November 20

ups-&-downs of a morning's work. . .



so, it's first thing in the morning
(well fourth thing really if you count doing Bruce,
 letting/cleaning out the chickens and eating breakfast)
and I've got the laptop in the kitchen
 checking my eBay sales from the previous evening.

All well and good;
lots of things sold, lots of things paid promptly, lots of parcels to pack.

Then I open two emails.

The first is from a newbie purchaser who bought her item
and then decided she hadn't really meant to do it-
it was "just a bit of a lark and she wouldn't
be completing the sale" but was "sure I'd understand".
I do understand
I am annoyed
(very annoyed actually)
but thank her anyway for letting me know immediately.
No-one died.

The second email
is from a bidder who missed the auction she was watching
and is annoyed (very annoyed actually)
because she really really REALLY wanted that item
and is "prepared to offer well over the winning bid price"
if I sell it to her
£50 over the winning bid price.
 
No, it's not the same item as above
that would only happen in a fairy story

I email her back to say thanks for the offer but I
wouldn't like to disappoint the winning bidder
and actually, that's not the way I do business
(Although £50 would be very useful right now)

I think about the ££s I had
the ££s I could've had
and the ££s I don't now have
and it makes me smile
because that's business I guess
and its all a blimmin' nuisance
but
I use my yardstick for not getting het-up about stuff
. . .no-one died.

The postman knocks at the door with a smile
(our postman always has a smile- must be from wearing those shorts)
and hands me the envelope.
£25 from the Premium Bonds
YAY!!
 

29 comments:

Su said...

All's well that ends well then!

Deborah said...

At least you have some good news at the end! Congrats on the money what will you do with it?

Bee happy x

KC'sCourt! said...

Congrats on winning the premium bonds.
Julie xxxxx

OhSoVintage said...

There are some strange people out there in ebay land. How would the person offering you more like it if someone else did that when she had won something? Did she really think you would let the other buyer down? And how do you bid for something for a lark? Good old Ernie saved the day.

Alix said...

That's karma - though it would've been nice if it had been £50!
x

Andi's English Attic said...

Ooooh it's like a scene from It's a Wonderful Life with you as Jimmy Stewart sticking to your principals!
Congrats on the premium bond. I got a £25 this month too. Where shall we go? :D

Pennyblossoms said...

Yay! An ERNIE winner. Congrats. It's nice when good morals win out!
And how handsome is the adorable Bruce with his new short back and sides? I just want to give him a great big cuddle!
Z xx

delia hornbook said...

aahh bless you :-)) All good things come to those that wait and also i am a huge beliver in that lovely things happen to lovely people. Treat yourself to something nice you deserve it. dee xx

Maria said...

Aww you made me smile with this post!
People can be soo difficult can't they just...
Do treat you self to some thing nice and let us know all about it on your next post!
Sending kind regards..
Maria x

Vintage Jane said...

There's nowt so weird as folk ...
Big congrats on your win! M x

Sherri B. said...

I will say "Congratulations" to you also....even if I haven't the vaguest idea what it a Premium Bond is that might show up in the Post..very interesting, indeed! xo

ANGLESEY ALLSORTS said...

What goes around comes around..

Vicky x

Oooh Betty said...

What a rollercoaster of a morning.
EBay sends me doolally! X

Sylvia said...

Sounds like an interesting morning, Elaine !
I don't know the Premium Bonds but it's always nice to win :-)
Nice evening,
Sylvia

thriftwood said...

The ups and downs of eBay!

Glad you had a silver lining though ...

Love, Claire xxx

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

Bless you! Well done on the Bond win, perhaps you should get a lottery ticket this week too! :)

Thea said...

I just shows.. you win some and you loose some.. but it is nice to be able to hold your head up high and know you kept your cool and dignity !
congratulations on your win
Thea x

nilly said...

Your noble ebay ethics are just like mine! I like to keep people happy even if I lose out sometimes.

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

Never ceases to amaze me, the way some customers behave! But how lovely that your won some cash, that should compensate for your woes. And it's unlooked for wealth, you get to spend that on something lovely just for you, well that's how we work hings here anyway :)

menopausalmusing said...

Get it spent! Quick, before a bill comes in.............

lettice leaf said...

I can't quite put my finger on it... however a heartwarming post. Made me smile; the minutiae of life... can't beat it!

LLX

Lynn said...

Good karma for being so reasonable.

BusyLizzie said...

Grrrr, bloomin cheek of people! Well done on your win & don't spend it all at once. xxx

sharie said...

Odd a friend of mine also had a buyer asking to buy an item that someone else won and offering a lot lot more. A common practise now??
I also had a lady contacting me saying she wouldn't be paying for one of her items. I thanked her and told her she'd need to explain to ebay as I wasn't taking responsibilty for her actions.
Must be something in the air???

Well done on your win.

Streetcomber said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets weird ebay buyers!

BadPenny said...

Do Premion Bonds still exist ? great pay out.
Husband was let down while selling a laser dinghy on ebay ( they changed their minds ) Ah well the next in line got it & was very pleased !

rusty duck said...

Your ebay experiences would annoy me too, and I probably wouldn't be as philosophical about it. Perhaps that's why I've never won on Premium Bonds??

Diane said...

The world of ebay is very strange. I have had similar experiences and find them very frustrating! Thank goodness for the smiley postman xxxx

Purrfect Haven said...

we like the way you do business... and the premium bond is such an appropriate reward. Love Helen, Darcy and Bingley xxx

Related Posts with Thumbnails