Thursday, December 20

a little bit un-ho-ho-ho around the edges



I've bought the presents, I've wrapped them, I've unwrapped some of them
and wrapped them again because I didn't put the labels on
and forgot who they were for.
I've bought more presents because after wrapping I decided I didn't
really like the first lot very much at all.

I've given the front door wreath a makeover,
rescued it from the puddle in the front drive where the
wind gusted it, dried it with the hairdryer
and tied it back on the knocker with baler twine,
a look rather more rustic than festive but hey. . .

I've got plastic wreaths for my in-laws at the crematorium
because otherwise the rabbits eat them
and spent some quiet time with my own parents
and decided it does get at bit easier as the years pass.

I've baked and cooked and baked some more
and eaten lots "just to test it you know. . ."
I've found a new recipe for boiled ham
even though everyone will say
"but we like it how you always do it"

I've decorated, found room for 5 sets of lights on the tree
(I do like a good twinkle)
revived Mark's childhood tree topper angel
for yet another year (she'll need radical surgery soon)
and hung multicolour baubles whilst wishing for
a serene, classy, co-ordinated designer look.

I've written cards (even to people who I pencilled out)
queued for the obligatory hour in the Post Office
bit the bullet at the price of stamps
and sent them with love.

I've dusted and polished and vacuumed (yes, I did behind the sofa)
and cleaned the cutlery drawer,
I've swept the front path so visitors can tread easily
and trimmed the climbing rose
so Santa of can find the chimney.

I've looked at everyone else's blogs
to admire pretty house ideas and crafty inspiration
and done mine same-old-same-old.

I know what I'm wearing to the parties
-something warm and something vintage
is my default outfit- and this year it'll
need to be blue to match my funky fringe.

There's enough chammy in the larder to toast Christmas morning,
Boxing Day lunch
(bubble-&-squeak with champagne is non-negotiable!)
our wedding anniversary, New Year and my birthday
plus a bottle left over "just because"

I'm  as ready as can be.
My trusty Christmas List says nothing to do last minute.
So why don't I feel in the least bit Christmassy?
No ho-ho-ho.
Where is it???
 

26 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

I think you need to sit down and have a rest before next week now!
Julie xxxx

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

Maybe you need snow... lots of it!
You have a birthday too amidst all the celebration... mine's the 26th.
Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday!
Susan x

menopausalmusing said...

It's hiding in wait and is going to leap out when you least expect it.....

Jane said...

I've been very organized this year, but I don't feel at all Christmassy - perhaps because it's all done and there's no adrenalin last minute rush. I'm sure it'll kick in when I'm peeling sprouts on Christmas eve and the carols start on TV. Have a lovely Christmas.

Vintage Jane said...

Because you're probably exhausted after all that lot!! Have a good one ... and a Happy Birthday. Mine's on the 26th! M x

Deborah said...

Sounds like you are all ready sweetie, bring on the good times :) have a great christmas!

Bee happy x

Andi's English Attic said...

You need a b+w movie, cake and hot chocolate and put your feet up. That's my carrot coz I'm not finished yet.
Have a wonderful Christmas and a very happy New Year. xx

thriftwood said...

Because you're worn out after that lot! Treat yourself, have a bit of pampering and do something just for you!

Have a fabulous Christmas

Claire xxx

bayou said...

I know what is missing: the homemade horsebits christmas bites ;-) - after that Bruce will have put you in the very mood :-))) Happy Christmas and plenty of nice celebrations days for you, Elaine.

nilly said...

Full marks for heroic effort Bunny! I'm going to say it, probably nobody else will - "Please let it all be over soon!" (Worst moment of the season so far? Katherine Jenkins announcing that "The year 2012 has blessed me." on breakfast TV the other day. Aaargh!

Ivy Black said...

Oh I know what you mean. I'm all ready but not in the least bit Christmassy and the last day of term was so flat I don't ever recall one quite as lacking in festive fun. Can't put my finger on why...maybe the rain as you say.
xxx

Fading Grace said...

Would you like to borrow Rosie, she's twelve and totally and utterly excited, I can't help but feel it a bit too, we also put rolf harris on the other night and drank too much wine and I laughed so much until I nearly wet myself!! then I felt quite chrissmassy for some reason!!...advice need not be excepted ;-) xx

the vanilla squirrel said...

...watch the 'Polar Express' with a glass of chammy, nice treats and warm socks......how lovely to be all organised so just sit down and enjoy that feeling....i'm still running around like mad!you deserve a very special christmas - enjoy!x

BadPenny said...

ummmmmm so much prep... is there a pill to make us feel right ?!

Husband asked if he needed to get the kids a present... I said " No- sorted. It seems only me you need to get one for " !

WHAT has happened to Christmas ? I will feel Christmassy soon.....

Linda said...

I love a twinkle , my studio is decked and the tree in the garden house being too small now bannisters twinkling so are the candles so we are all lit up in Dorchester xxxxx happy christmas Linda

The Cloth Shed said...

It's this bloomin' rain!
I am feeling totally unfestive at the moment too. Maybe it will all kick in on the 24th?
Glad to see you bit the bullet at the price of stamps...
Julie x

elegancemaison said...

Crikey - Christmas, Wedding Anniversary AND birthday - so greedy Ms Bunny!

Strangely although this will be the oddest Christmas ever for us without any family around, we're now quite looking forward to it. (Say no more.)

Happy Days to you Elaine!

Favourite Vintage Finds said...

I hope you're treating yourself after all that! Happy Christmas, Wedding Anniversary, Birthday and New Year! ♥ Carla. xo

gillyflower said...

Good grief I think you must just be too exhausted with all you've done to feel festive!
I'm still way behind you,lagging,lost my festive enthusiasm a week or two back!
Hope you find your "ho ho ho" before the Big Day!
Happy Christmas!
Gill xx

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

You are soooo funny! Have a really lovely Christmas, hopefully with some time to pop your feet up! Thank you for all your support and kind words you leave me! :) x

Sylvia said...

You've been so busy, Elaine, I also wanted to do a lot, and cleaning the whole house .. but I'm not in the mood :-)
Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas time and Happy Birthday to you !
Sylvia

Country Style Living said...

Hello Elaine, slowly finding the spirit here, I hope you do too! Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year and a Happy Birthday...

Sue said...

We're watching every cheesey Christmassy film that we own on Dvd or that appears on the tele in our attempt to get the Christmas feeling, it is working, although the songs on the radio are starting to grate a little, why does no-one bring a new catchy one out that we can add to the playlist.

If I hear Noddy Holder once more I will eat a Christmas cracker!!

Sue xx

Purrfect Haven said...

Hello dears. It has been delightful visiting you throughout this year. Thank you for your visits and for the time you took to leave us comments here too. We look forward very much to more time shared in 2013! and here is wishing it to be a peaceful, healthy and happy new year. Love Darcy, Bingley and Helen xxx

Debs said...

Sounds like you've been too busy for the ho ho hoing. Be still, put the feet up, put on an old favourite CD, and possibly have a glass of cheer in your hand. It will find you then :)

sandiart said...

Did it go up the Hoover???? haha, hope you had a wonderful day and that you found your Hohoho.
xxxx Sandi

Related Posts with Thumbnails