Thursday, April 4

yummy egg dish- with leftovers!



thanks to Melanie Joan and Edie each laying an egg per day
I've been thinking up some new recipes. . .

there are only SO MANY times you can have
boiled chooky eggs for breakfast and omelette for lunch!


The Mexican-ish eggs dish came about mainly because
there were leftovers in the fridge that needed using
but it was so nice (tasted better than it looks in the photo)
that I'll definitely make it again.

I quick fried a couple of red onions, garlic, chilli flakes, orange peppers,
mushrooms and courgettes in the wok, added a spoonful of oregano,
can of tomatoes, blob of tomato puree, some cooked rice and quinoa
that was hanging about, and let it bubble down
til it was thick and gooey.
Then I put it in individual dishes, made a scoop in the top,
cracked an egg into each, topped with grated cheese
and baked in the oven til the egg was set-
about 20 mins in the Rayburn.

I think it needed crusty bread which we didn't have so I served
with watercress and roasted beetroot salad- and spring rolls
(cos they looked lonely in the freezer!)

Try it and enjoy- let me know what you put in yours!
 

12 comments:

thriftwood said...

Yum looks fab ... I know the feeling, we have chucks too and when we have a glut of eggs it's nice to have some unusual recipes at hand to use them up, rather than just make a big bowl of egg mayonnaise!

Have a lovely weekend

Claire xxx

Lazy Daisy Jones said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm
D x

lettice leaf said...

Looks delish... don't you always enjoy the dishes that just involve from what you've got in the fridge? I know I do!

LLX

delia hornbook said...

Now that is right up my street and I will defiantly try and make it, dee x

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

They look yummy! :) x

Vintage Tea Time said...

Oooh, my kind of food. I love ratatouille - and that's kind of similar. X

Jee said...

Gosh, that looks good. Leftover meals are often the best!

Hesta Nesta said...

Can I come to your house for dinner please?? See you at Dairy House.
Love
Jo xx

Sylvia said...

Looks delicious, Elaine !
I've eaten too many eggs lately, also chocolat ones ...
I've made a post about Easter delights :-)
Nice evening,
Sylvia

Kim said...

You are the best at using what is in your fridge. You must have great things in there. I never have anything as appetizing as this. What are courgettes, Elaine. zucchini?

nilly said...

Yummy food aside, you've reminded me again and I'm so jealous - you live an a beautiful place AND you keep chickens. My dream!

OhSoVintage said...

Sounds just the ticket for these cold winter, I mean Spring, evenings! Yum, yum.

Related Posts with Thumbnails