Wednesday, November 6

Brooke Hospital for Horses, remembering



 
The role of horses in ww1 and 2 breaks my heart.
Horses of Bruce's size and type would've been the first requisitions.
 
The government promised to return the survivors but then reneged
saying it was too expensive, and sold them to the middle east instead.
 
Knowing the treatment they'd receive,
many cavalry officers shot their own horses at the docks
rather that let them board the ships.
Those unlucky enough to have got through the hell of war
were then sent to a living hell as beasts of burden.

 
On arrival in Egypt in 1930, Dorothy Brooke was horrified to see
hundreds of emaciated horses being used on the streets of Cairo.

The wife of a British army major general,
Dorothy Brooke was appalled to learn that these walking skeletons
were ex-warhorses of the British, Australian and American forces.

Dorothy set up the Brooke Hospital for Horses,
click the link to find out more about this charity,
and click this link if you'd like to make a donation.

I'm going to sell some things on ebay this month
and donate the money directly to Brooke Hospital,
I'll give you the link when they're listed.


 

17 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

My great-grandfather was a horse driver in WW1 I never knew him but I do know he came back a broken man.
Julie xxxxxxxx

Greenorchid said...

I've always found the whole thing heart breaking too... can't bare it when trust is shattered.. I didn't know about this woman so will investigate further... X

Linda Metcalf said...

Breaks my heart! It's hard to imagine the cruelty of humans towards animals. I have two mini horses and they are like little children to me....their love is in their eyes.

Willow said...

The Nicholas Gordon photo is quite touching.
Did you see the movie War Horse , many teardrops fell when I watched it.
A worthy cause indeed.

Sylvia said...

Oh, so horrible to hear this, those poor horses ...
Sylvia

Country Cottage Chic said...

It is so heartbreaking to think that those poor horses worked tirelessly and survived the war to then just be abandoned like that.

Autumn Mist said...

Have you seen/read War Horse? We went to see it at the cinema. When the lights came up, all you could hear was people sniffing and sobbing, all across the cinema. Hubby and I came home and hugged our boys and promised them they would never, ever have to go through something so awful. I've watched it once on DVD and since losing the boys I can't bring myself to watch it again. We owe them a massive debt.

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

How sad to think they'd served the army and that was there reward, they didn't treat the soldiers much better either :) x

Sherri B. said...

This story is just horrid...it makes me sick how some of those in charge of our governments are so very heartless.
xo

nilly said...

I knew nothing about this - how dreadfully sad. Maybe one day women will rule the world and it will be a better place.

Rose H (UK) said...

What a moving post. I know about the terrible suffering of the 'war horses' and it breaks my heart. Bad enough that men who can understand what's going on in wartime have to suffer and die, but the dear creatures have no idea why...
(There's no way on earth I could either read or watch War Horse.)
Rose H
x

Jacqui Galloway said...

So sad and what a good cause. x

the woolly dog said...

I never knew this about the horses, it's incredibly sad, especially as the owners thought they were doing something to help their country.

Crazyhound said...

Yes, a really sad tale. I found out about it when I went to see War Horse at the London Theatre and couldn't believe it at the time. Hats off to Dorothy Brooke and good luck with the sale on Ebay.

Purrfect Haven said...

thank you for that information, sad though it is, I have long felt concern for the plight of horses and will look up the Brooke. Thanks. We don't treat horses with the love and respect they deserve. Love Darcy, Bingley and Helen xxx

horse care online courses said...

8 million horses died in the First World War ....
I'll keep an eye for your ebay auctions and mention them on my Horse Sense blog.

Vintage Jane said...

A huge old stone trough stands next to the war memorial in our village. It is filled with flowers and the inscription on it dedicates it to the 150,000 horses who died in the 1899-1902 Boer War. It was originally placed outside the Railway Pub but when the railway line was closed in the late 70's it was taken away for 'safekeeping'. It was unearthed in a field in 2005, cleaned up and placed in its present and rightful position. It is saluted as the remembrance procession passes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails